Tips and Guides on How to Use an Air Fryer in 2022
Do you want to know how to use an air fryer after purchasing it for your kitchen because this is your first time having it? Don’t worry because not only do you encounter this problem. That’s why I have written this article to help you discover the process of using your new appliance.
It seems like everyone has had their eye on that new kitchen gadget: The Air Fryer. And for good reason! If you’re looking for a more healthy way of cooking without having to monitor closely or constantly add oil, then an air fryer might be perfect for you. You’ll find yourself eating healthier while spending less time in the kitchen!
Air frying is a healthier alternative to cooking with oil and it’s also faster than oven roasting! In this blog post, I will cover everything from what they are, the precautions, tips, and guides when using them, to how to use an air fryer efficiently to cook your favorite dishes in just minutes.
Basic information about How to Use an Air Fryer
Before finding how to use an air fryer properly, you should learn more about its definition, working mechanism, and the precautions you need to follow.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a small appliance that cooks food by circulating hot air around it at high speed. It is designed like a tall, round tower on its average and on the top of this unit, there’s an open space which contains a heating element and also where you can put food or whatever you want to cook for frying or roasting.
There’s no oil involved with cooking because this appliance uses a very little amount of oil as compared to deep frying with other appliances like pot, pans, etc.
How does an air fryer work?
Before knowing how to use an air fryer, you should know how it works so you can use it safely. As I mentioned earlier that it circulates hot air around your foods at high speed; those currents of hot air surround your food from all sides and cook them simultaneously. This appliance is great for cooking, roasting, and even baking!
Air fryers can do a lot of things that other appliances could not: air-frying potatoes so they’re crispy on the outside and moist inside; caramelizing your favorite fruits to use in toppings for desserts; roasting meat until it reaches medium-rare perfection without browned or burned exterior; air frying wontons or spring rolls for snack time.
How does an air fryer differ from other appliances?
Put simply, instead of quickly moving hot oil around your food with its built-in heating element like deep fryers do, this appliance heats up the space within itself and circulates currents of hot air all over your food to cook it.
This appliance is way healthier than deep fryers because of the lower temperature they have. Even though it has a high speed, still this gadget emits less heat compared to other appliances so it will not burn your foods for being too hot!
What can you cook in an air fryer?
As I mentioned earlier that air fryers are great for cooking, roasting, baking, and even frying! You can make anything with them from appetizers to main course dishes or desserts. Air fried foods stay crispy on the outside while staying tender inside which makes them very delicious.
They also absorb less oil compared to deep-fried foods which means you’re eating healthier without having to sacrifice any flavor. (There are some ways on how to use an air fryer to cook delicious recipes at nearly the end of the article.) Some of the foods that you can cook in an air fryer are:
- Steaks, burgers, chicken breasts
- Breaded foods like mozzarella sticks or onion rings
- French fries & tater tots without frying them in oil
- Twists filled with chocolate or cheese for dessert, etc.
No appliance is perfect and it’s true for this one too. You should be very careful when using an air fryer to prevent any damage or injury that may arise from its use. An air fryer comes with lots of safety precautions that you need to follow if you want to get the most out of your unit. Below are some important safety guides:
- Always unplug your unit after using it. Make sure you don’t use this appliance while it is plugged in; doing so may cause an electric shock!
- Never overfill the basket with food or any other cooking tools. Doing so will create a fire hazard and also the foods won’t get cooked properly. That means you should not fill more than one-third of its capacity!
- Do not touch the heating element with bare hands because it gets very hot! Also, do not put anything besides food in this gadget like water or oil that can damage your unit’s functionality.
- Clean this appliance properly using only the soft cloth provided by its manufacturer to avoid damages to your unit. You are recommended to clean this appliance before and after each use.
- Make sure you put the right amount of food in your air fryer so it can cook properly. Meet with our team to learn about how much food goes in which basket!
- For safety concerns, unplug your unit when you finish cooking. This is basic knowledge on how to use an air fryer safely.
- Keep this appliance away from children as they may damage or hurt themselves using it improperly. You should place this appliance at a safe place where children can’t reach it easily without getting hurt by its sharp edges or temperature extremes!
- Do not use your air fryer for deep frying because of its high temperature! Try experimenting with new ideas only with the foods that have been recommended by its manufacturer. This appliance is not for deep frying foods like samosas!
- Never put cold water in this appliance after using it. When you finish cooking, let the unit cool down before you clean it.
- Always check your gasket (seal) before (and after) each use because sometimes dirt and grime can make your appliance less efficient or unsafe to use. You must change gaskets if they become worn or damaged, otherwise, this may create a fire hazard!
- If your air fryer has a removable power plug, don’t forget to use it because this appliance is not waterproof!
- It is recommended to keep an eye on your cooking food all the time to make sure no fire starts in your kitchen unexpectedly. Remember that most fires happen when people are not around their kitchens!
- Make sure you put your hand inside water before touching any hot parts of the appliance after using it. And never touch with wet hands or clothing any hot parts of this device after using it. You should also allow the unit to cool down before cleaning or putting your hand inside it after use!
- Make sure you read the instruction manual carefully and always keep it for future reference. Before each use, make sure to check if there is any loose part in your air fryer which can cause a fire hazard.
- Never tamper with any safety devices of this appliance because this may damage your unit’s functionality or create a fire hazard. For example, when you think that the timer doesn’t work properly, never try to fix its dial manually!
- Don’t forget that the metal mesh filter must be installed in your basket when cooking foods that have bones like fish or chicken. Always make sure you install this filter before cooking to create a healthy environment for your family!
- For your safety concerns, it is required that you always cover the mesh holes on both sides of the metal mesh filter with potholders or gloves because the grids are very hot after using this appliance! That’s why learning this safety tip before how to use an air fryer is necessary.
- Air fryers can get very hot by cooking at high temperatures. All units contain sharp edges. Please take proper care when handling these appliances so no one gets hurt. Also, please do not place anything near your air fryer’s heating element as it can give off excessive heat and shorten its life span if damaged!
- Make sure you never use an extension cord to plug in your air fryer because this appliance uses so much power that it may catch fire if you plug it into an outlet that is connected to another device through an extension cord!
- Always check before each use for any cracks, leaks, stains, or signs of overheating on the housing of your unit. You must stop using it if there are any damages because it can cause a fire hazard!
- Please clean the vent holes on its lid after each time you use your air fryer to avoid the smoke coming out of them! Also, please watch out for vents on the sidewalls during cooking because food particles usually block these openings. Cleaning them is very important before the next usage!
- If you finish cooking and see dents in your food, this is normal because it means that the foods were not evenly cooked. You should coat your foods with oil before putting them in your air fryer to create a more even shape and avoid dents on your food!
- If you want to cook something at low temperatures, you can set the timer for less than 10 minutes but this doesn’t mean that the time will be counted down immediately. Once you’ve plugged in and turned on your unit and set up all of its controls, the cooking process begins automatically!
- Please make sure not to open the lid during cooking because this unit may get damaged from excess heat!
- Always keep track of the quality of your gasket (seal) after each use by checking if it is torn or damaged as this could cause smoke and lead to a fire! If you see that the seal of your appliance is worn out, replace it immediately because smoke can leak out and create hazardous smoke!
- Don’t leave your air fryer running unattended and don’t use it while sleeping or when nobody is home! You must make sure no one uses it without your supervision! Also, check the instruction manual for any information on using together with other products such as electric grills.
Setting Up an Air Fryer for the First Time
All new appliances require that you assemble the parts properly before using them. So even if your air fryer comes with clear instructions, I want to remind you how to assemble it before learning about how to use an air fryer efficiently!
Please make sure that all parts are tightened well so the appliance works properly. All electric appliances require tightening screws or bolts when they are assembled for use or service. Make sure these devices are installed according to a proper way because loose connections can cause a fire hazard!
Check that the lid seals evenly and completely around the housing of the unit before using it because this prevents smoke from coming out of any openings! If you notice holes in its gasket, replace it immediately because food particles may block them which could be very dangerous if it’s not fixed!
When cleaning your air fryer, always unplug it first and wait for at least a minute before cleaning it with a damp cloth to let the internal parts cool down! Please be careful when you clean its housing because there may still be hot oil inside which can burn you if spilled on your skin!
Never stick sharp or metal utensils into your air fryer’s heating element because they can damage it and create a fire hazard if left in the appliance during storage! Also, never operate your unit without its filter in place to avoid contaminants from getting into it and causing a fire.
Make sure that no cables, handles, or accessories are near the heating element of your machine. You must keep them away from heating elements so their surfaces don’t get too hot and cause a fire hazard!
If you want to use an extension cable with your air fryer, remember to use a flexible cable! Only flexible cables should be used when you connect an appliance to power because this prevents damage and accidents involving fire hazards.
If your air fryer has a removable basket, make sure to put it securely in place after you’ve taken it out of the appliance. Please always use oven mitts when you take items from hot pans to reduce the risk of harm!
Now that we’ve reviewed these safety precautions and guides, I can say that using a good quality one is safe if you learn how to use an air fryer properly and don’t forget about cleaning and storage! Just remember what I have told you and stay away from any unsafe practices to keep yourself safe while cooking with an air fryer!
How to Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance designed to make cooking at home easier, healthier, and more fun. It’s a modernized version of an oven, designed to fry food with hot air circulating around it rather than oil. The results are crispy and delicious French fries, fried chicken, and other foods that would otherwise be deep-fried in oil.
The market for this type of appliance is expanding rapidly, and the number of consumers who own one has grown significantly over the past few years. Learning how to use an air fryer correctly can help you save time in the kitchen and enjoy tasty fried food without the added fat from cooking in oil.
Step 1: Plugging in the machine
As simple as this sounds, it is important. Don’t be a rebel and try to plug in the machine without a power source. This can be very dangerous for you and everyone around you. If you happen to have an extension cord, it will help increase your range of safety if electrical outlets are not readily available near your workspace.
You never want any part of the air fryer getting wet, so make sure that there aren’t any water droplets landing on plugged-in parts or inside the machine itself.
Step 2: Preparing food
It is recommended to use a paper towel of some sort and dry off all your food before placing it into the basket. This is important because moisture will cause an increase in cooking time, which can lead to overcooking your food.
It is also heavily suggested that you lightly spray on a non-stick cooking oil or add a light layer of butter/margarine to each side of your food so that nothing gets “stuck” inside the basket while frying.
Step 3: Preparing the machine
Depending on the type of air fryer you have, it may require a bit of pre-heating before cooking can begin. This is typically at 60% power and will usually take one to two minutes depending on your machine.
Some machines recommend that you must lightly coat the basket with oil to prevent food from sticking, but there are other models that don’t need this step in order to properly cook food.
Step 4: Cooking
This is the next step on how to use an air fryer. When it comes time for cooking, please keep in mind that frying times tend to be faster than oven roasting or baking them in a conventional convection oven. It’s always best to check each piece of food at 10-min intervals and flip them around to ensure even distribution of heat and fat.
Some foods will cook faster than others and this method is not always accurate so it is important to keep a very close eye on the food. A timer on your machine may be helpful, but you should also watch them closely while cooking.
Step 5: Finished cooking
When all of your food has been satisfactorily cooked, remove each piece from the basket and place them on a plate or in a bowl with a paper towel underneath. This absorbs any excess oil that may have come out of the food while cooking and helps give your meal a more pleasant aesthetic appeal.
Try to avoid using too many bowls or plates because storage can become an issue once they are stacked together. Also, note that some people find it easier to use tongs instead of their fingers to keep from burning themselves.
Step 6: Cleaning
Besides how to use an air fryer correctly, you also have to clean it correctly too. In order to properly clean an air fryer, it is recommended that you do not place water inside the machine itself, but instead carefully wipe down any of the cooking surfaces with a damp cloth or paper towel.
If needed, a small amount of dish soap can be used for tougher grease stains, and then after washing, please make sure that there are no moisture droplets on any metal parts before use.
Also note that if your air fryer has a viewing window, avoid cleaning this part while food is still in the basket, or else it will get smudged and become harder to see through later. If you have more suggestions on general maintenance for air fryers, please feel free to leave a comment below.
Step 7: Caring for your air fryer
It’s important to keep an eye on the manual that came with the machine and follow the instructions carefully. If you do not have this manual anymore, it is suggested that you check out websites like Amazon or even use Google to see how other people take care of their specific model so that you can get ideas.
Whatever you don’t want to do is let moisture settle inside because it will increase the chance for damage to occur and might void your warranty if one was included with your purchase. Air fryers are usually very sturdy, but proper care must be taken when handling them in order to prevent any accidents while cooking.
If all these criteria aren’t met, then it may be time to get a new air fryer.
Step 8: Enjoy your food!
Once your air fryer is clean and ready to go, you can start enjoying the yummy food you have prepared! Make sure to have fun while cooking in this new appliance because the sky is the limit when it comes to recipes.
From snack foods like fries and chicken nuggets to full-course meals like baked fish or even desserts like apple pies, there are plenty of choices for what you can do with this device.
Don’t be afraid to experiment either because if something goes wrong, then it will be easy enough to try again until you get it right.
Tips for How to Use an Air Fryer when cooking
One of the most used appliances in any kitchen is a deep fryer. It not only helps you to cook your favorite snacks but also makes it easy for you to cook your food in a healthy way.
But, deep frying requires a lot of oil and is a messy process too which can be avoided with an air fryer that uses very little oil or no oil at all when cooking delicious French fries, chicken wings, or even bacon.
Let’s take a look at some tips on how to use an air fryer efficiently:
Tip 1: Firstly, the key to healthy cooking is to have a temperature probe. The temperature probe in an air fryer will help you know when your food is fried and perfectly cooked with the perfect amount of crispiness.
With pre-set modes available, all you need to do is choose one and use it until you get perfect results. Another thing that you can learn from an air fryer manual is how to make homemade fries using this appliance. It’s easy and fun!
Tip 2: Food items like meatballs, nuggets, fish fillets, or vegetables that are high in protein content should be cooked at a lower temperature for a shorter time period since they require less oil otherwise they end up being too dry after frying.
Also, most varieties of poultry should always be cooked at between 320 to 355 degrees Fahrenheit because it doesn’t require a lot of oil.
Tip 3: When cooking meat, color is one of the best indicators of doneness. Cooking beef and pork requires a lower temperature of around 320-350 degrees Fahrenheit (160-176 Celsius) while chicken can cook at higher temperatures of up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 Celsius).
Tip 4: Typically, food items like potatoes or root vegetables which are high in carbohydrates need more heat and time than protein-rich foods like fish for deep frying.
So, you need to choose your temperature levels accordingly and also adjust your timing as per that. Also, remember that if you’re using an air fryer then there is no need to let your food cool before you eat them.
Tip 5: Another important thing that you need to keep in mind is how much oil should be used while deep frying. This is important on how to use an air fryer because it can change the taste of your food results a lot.
Of course, the less oil the better it is for your health but too little will cause your batter or breading to burn quickly and get stuck on your basket. Too much oil makes it difficult to clean. So always pay attention to what comes out of your fryer!
Tip 6: You can also cook different types of meat at the same time by simply calibrating the temperature levels which you set for each type of meat beforehand. And remember, if overcooked they might turn dry so you need not exceed certain temperature levels for some food types.
Tip 7: Though you won’t need to thaw the meat before cooking it in an air fryer, still if you’re cooking frozen food then you’ll need to set a higher temperature level, or else your food will end up overcooked and soggy. Also, remember that breaded food needs more time than unfried breaded foods like onion rings and French fries.
Tip 8: Baking is also possible with an air fryer which you usually do not get with deep frying so now there’s no reason why you can’t make delicious muffins, cakes, or even biscuits using this appliance as well.
But remember to reduce the temperature levels as compared to oven roasting because of less oil usage and lower power levels.
How to Use an Air Fryer to Make Recipes
If you have a busy day, then the air fryer is the best cooking appliance that you should have in your kitchen. In this part, I will introduce you to how to use an air fryer to make this famous luxury recipe.
The beef wellington air fryer recipe is healthy and tasty too. This dish will keep you full for hours together and does not contain unhealthy ingredients or preservatives. You can enjoy this meal without worrying about gaining weight or health issues.
- 500gm tenderloin beef steak (the thickness should be around 8mm)
- A pack of puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 100 gm mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves or dry thyme powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Below is how to use an air fryer to cook this delicious recipe. Get a large bowl. In the bowl, place the beef tenderloin and add salt and pepper to taste. Ensure that you mix it well so that all pieces of meat are coated with spices evenly.
- In a separate bowl, add butter and onion. Mix them together until they form a paste-like consistency. If needed, microwave for 10 seconds or aid this process by using a hand blender. Add garlic to this mixture and stir again well. Set aside these mixtures for later use.
- Now, take another container wherein place thyme leaves or dry thyme powder along with salt and pepper to taste. Take one piece of beef from the marinade container and dip it in the thyme mixture so both of the meat is coated with the marinade evenly. Ensure that all pieces of meat are coated with spices.
- Now, place this marinated beef inside the vacuum seal bag and ensure that it is sealed well. Place the bag in a bowl containing cold water to avoid any mess on your table or countertop. Repeat this step for all remaining pieces of tenderloin beef steak.
- Take out one piece of beef from the container that you placed into cold water and transfer it into an air fryer basket ensuring that each piece faces up equally. Set the temperature to 390 degrees F and allow the cooking process to complete by setting a timer for 30 minutes.
- Open the lid after one beep sound comes from the air fryer machine and remove a cooked piece of beef using tongs or fork. Let it cool for a minute or two after which you can cut it in half.
- Try not to eat the entire slice at once so that you avoid feeling sick due to the high temperature inside your mouth. Repeat this step until all pieces of beef are cooked.
- When the air fryer is ready for use, melt butter in another pan by setting the heat level to medium. Add onion paste, garlic mixture, and sliced mushroom followed by thyme leaves. This is the next step on how to use an air fryer to cook this recipe.
- Cook them until juices from mushrooms evaporate completely. Ensure that contents are stirred frequently so that nothing sticks at the bottom of the pan.
- Let them cook until they release a sizzling sound then add the beef stock little by little to ensure that amount of liquid covers more than 50 % of ingredients plus one tablespoon flour as well. Stir constantly and let the mixture come to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat level and allow simmering.
- Now, take beef wellington out of the air fryer basket and cover it with foil paper. Place beef on top of mushroom gravy and serve hot!
Salmon is not only a delicious fish but also is a very healthy one. It contains omega 3 fatty acids that help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Salmon itself contains minerals like copper, potassium, and iron.
- 5 pounds of salmon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- How to use an air fryer to cook this dish is easy. Begin with preheating the air fryer to 390F and then remove the gills from the salmon using a boning or filleting knife, as well as any bones you may see.
- Save those for making broth later on. Scale your fish if needed, rinse off with cold water, and pat dry with some paper towels.
- In a small bowl combine all of your ingredients except for your salmon and stir thoroughly until evenly mixed.
- Place your salmon into a large zip-top bag and pour in your marinade mixture, making sure each piece is evenly coated before sealing up the bag securely and placing it into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to marinate while you’re waiting on the air fryer to preheat.
- Once the air fryer is hot, carefully remove your salmon from the marinade and place it into the basket, laying each piece flat to ensure even cooking.
- Insert the metal grill pan into your air fryer and close up the top before setting it for 12 minutes at 390F using a timer if you have one that you can set specifically for this recipe or else keep an eye on your fish every now and then as needed until done.
- Once finished cooking, serve immediately with some lemon wedges for squeezing over the top if desired along with whatever sides you prefer most! It’s pretty amazing all by itself though too so feel free to enjoy it just like that as well!
FAQs about How to Use an Air Fryer
Do you put oil in an air fryer?
It depends on your cooking instructions. A lot of manufacturers say no oil is needed, but you need to follow cooking instructions carefully because the taste will certainly change with or without oil.
Do you have to clean air fryer after every use?
Yes, but it depends on what you’re cooking. Many people report that they need to clean the air fryer each time to get the best results.
If you use a lot of oil or grease when cooking then there is a chance that your fryer will get clogged and the air won’t go through the machine anymore. As a result, you have 2 options: either you clean it after every use or take it to an expert for cleaning.
Can you put water in an air fryer to clean?
Yes, you can use water in an air fryer to clean it. However, some people do not recommend this because a physical reaction occurs when the heat from the appliance causes the water to evaporate and become steam that collects inside the machine. This has been known to cause damage or ruin parts of the appliance.
Conclusion about How to Use an Air Fryer
You have now read the necessary information on how to use an air fryer, as well as some safety precautions and guides. And if you want even more info on cooking with your new air fryer, make sure to check out the tips for using it efficiently too.
This will help ensure that everything is crispy and delicious every time! Remember also that any food should be cooked at least 5 minutes before consumption (even though most of us don’t need a reminder).
I hope that this article has helped you learn more about the tips for using this unit in your cooking routine, as well as different ways to make sure you are getting the most out of it when it comes time to cook. Now go enjoy your tasty meal, knowing that it has been prepared in an efficient manner by following these guides on how to use an air fryer correctly!