Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven: Difference between Air Fryer and Toaster Oven
The air fryer and the toaster oven are both excellent kitchen appliances that allow you to cook up delicious meals. One of the most common questions I get asked is “Which appliance should I buy? What are the differences between air fryer vs toaster oven?” The answer isn’t as clear-cut as it may seem.
This blog post will discuss the differences between an air fryer and a toaster oven and help you decide which one might be better for your needs. Air fryers typically cost less than a toaster oven and can cook food more quickly if it’s smaller in size.
They also eliminate excess oil from cooking because they don’t require any oil at all. Toaster ovens usually have multiple functions such as baking, broiling, roasting, or even steaming food-making them very versatile kitchen appliances that can handle just about any task!
Both types of ovens have their benefits and drawbacks so I will break down some of the differences between these two cooking devices in order to help you decide which one best suits your needs.
Before figuring out about Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven, let’s take a look at the definition of both of them and how they work.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small cooking appliance that heats up and cooks food by circulating hot air around it. Owners of this machine claim that it makes their favorite foods crispy with little to no oil.
The machine has become increasingly popular due to the fact that most people are trying to eat healthier with less oil and fried foods, or they want something fast and easy without frying.
The average price is $100-$150 depending on the model. Most have a digital touchscreen which includes a timer, temperature, and cooking settings guide for different types of food including meat, poultry, fish, rice & grains, vegetables & fruits, snacks & desserts as well as appetizers & main dishes).
This air fryer vs toaster oven is usually about 2-3 feet tall & takes up little countertop space in comparison to other appliances such as a standard oven or stand mixers.
They all have specific temperatures & controls depending on what type of food you are cooking, but most air fryers come with presets for cooking different types of foods.
How does an air fryer work?
Air fryer vs Toaster Oven is simply a machine that cooks food with hot air. The process is simple, but it’s important to understand the basics so you can achieve the best results possible when using an air fryer.
This machine cooks by circulating hot air around your food which creates a dry cooking environment to crisp up your favorite fried foods. Because of this, many who purchase an air fryer are looking for healthier alternatives to deep-frying or possibly just something fast & easy that doesn’t include oil or frying at all.
However, these machines are not designed to replace all kitchen appliances because they are mainly made for smaller foods like chicken wings, fries/chips, seafood (fish sticks), onion rings, tater tots & other similar items. They are also good for reheating foods like pizza, french fries, tater tots, nuggets, etc.
Most people do not use an air fryer for cooking large meals because it does require a lot of the food you’re cooking in order for it to work properly & cook all the way through.
Also, some heat is lost during the cooking process due to the fan that circulates hot air around your food which causes your dish to take longer than expected in most cases.
This makes it a bit tough when cooking a larger meal with different components since they probably won’t finish at the same time and most likely turn out less crispy or crunchy compared to what you would get from a standard oven or even frying.
Different types of air fryers
There are currently six types of air fryer vs toaster oven that are available on the market according to their design, heating process, and cooking style. The most popular model being the traditional countertop vertical basket type which has a heating element at the bottom & a fan in the back blowing hot air around your food.
Another is barrel type which gets its name from its cylindrical shape or barrel-like appearance. This model usually includes an open area for your oils or marinades under the basket to drip into & cook with your food.
Under Counter models resemble mini ovens since they can be installed underneath upper cabinetry & built into cabinets like wall units. They’re great if you don’t have enough room on your countertops to accommodate another appliance & helps free up your counter space.
The newest addition to the bunch is a round type which has been since redesigned from square models of the past. This model air fryer vs toaster oven is more compact than all other types.
It allows for easy storage during and after use making it perfect for smaller kitchen spaces or if you want an appliance that doesn’t take up much room.
There are three types of heaters available including halogen heat, quartz infrared, and ceramic infrared. Each one provides different heating characteristics depending on what kind of food you’re cooking as well as how crispy you would like it to be.
Since their debut in 2007, air fryers have become increasingly popular especially with health-conscious consumers who try to stay away from deep-frying altogether as well as incorporating more fresh & organic meals into their diet.
Air fryer vs Toaster Oven appeals to all types of eaters, but they are especially popular with people who enjoy eating French fries, onion rings, chicken wings, tater tots, fried fish, or any other type of finger food that’s normally deep-fried.
They’re also great for cooking frozen foods like french fries because you can cook them directly from the freezer which is perfect if you don’t feel like spending time thawing each individual item first.
For those who are health conscious, air fryers are a great alternative to traditional frying methods since they provide similar results without using oil. The best part is there are no trans fats found in your food cooked by an air fryer unlike fried foods prepared the traditional way.
This makes them even healthier to eat since most fries are cooked with added oil, hydrogenated oils, or fats that raise bad cholesterol levels increasing your chances of getting heart disease or other health issues.
What is a Toaster Oven?
A toaster oven is an appliance that is commonly used for smaller, everyday cooking tasks such as toasting bread and reheating leftovers. Toasters are typically counter-top appliances with a door and slots where food can be inserted. They generally have at least one heating element above the food and sometimes below.
A toaster oven typically costs somewhere between $30 and $200 depending on the brand name, size, and other special features. Air fryer vs toaster oven about price is nearly the same. Toaster ovens can vary in size from six inches wide or less up to about eighteen inches wide or more.
Most come equipped with a crumb tray located on the bottom of the oven which makes it easy to clean out any messes you might make while using it. Most models do not require you to defrost your food before using them – they simply provide a shorter way of cooking already partially frozen foods quickly and easily.
Toaster ovens are very popular appliances and can be used for a wide range of things. They are great for toasting bread and can also be used for making many other foods such as frozen pizzas, muffins, English muffins, burgers, raisin toast, cakes, and pies just to name a few options.
Toaster ovens can even heat up foods that you buy from the store such as fettuccini alfredo or chicken nuggets quickly and easily.
How does a Toaster Oven work?
Toaster oven vs air fryer typically has a heating element located above the food and sometimes below it. Some toaster ovens will actually use both heating elements in order to cook the food more quickly and evenly while others only use one.
If your model does not have a bottom element you can add one by lining the bottom of the oven with foil before you put any food inside.
This is a great way to make sure that your food cooks evenly from top to bottom, but it can also lead to some problems for people who are trying to toast bread since they may find that their pieces get stuck in between these two layers of foil when they go to remove them.
The most important thing about how a toaster oven works are simply keeping an eye on the model that you buy in order to make sure that it heats your food evenly and doesn’t cause any problems for you when trying to cook with it.
Different types of Toaster Ovens
There are 4 main types of toaster oven vs air fryer to choose from when buying this type of appliance. These include conventional, digital, convection, and rotisserie.
Conventional Toaster Ovens
These models are very simple in design and they work by simply having one or two heating elements that you turn on in order to cook your food. The dial located at the top (or front) of these appliances will allow you to control how much heat is generated inside the oven’s chamber.
They typically do not have any special features such as timers or alarms that let you know when your food is done cooking. Generally speaking, a conventional model will be best for someone who is looking for a simple way to cook their food without spending a lot of money.
Digital Toaster Ovens
These models are very similar to conventional ones in that they rely on the use of pre-set heat settings that you adjust depending on what type of food you want to cook. Usually, consumers will be able to choose from several different preset options such as “bake,” “broil” or “defrost.”
Some have even more specific choices including things like “bagel,” “pizza” and so forth. These special presets vary depending on the model you buy so it is important to keep this in mind when shopping for one of these appliances.
The digital display located at the top or front of many models also lets consumers know exactly how much time they have left before their foods are finished cooking.
Convection Toaster Ovens
These models use a very special fan that circulates the heat inside of them in order to help cook your food more evenly and quickly. This makes it possible for you to cook many different things such as pizzas, cookies, and even frozen foods with just one cooking cycle!
Rotisserie Toaster Ovens
These models are designed specifically for people who want to be able to roast small amounts of meat.
They utilize a heating element located at the top of the oven which cooks the food from above while a turning mechanism rotates it from below – this ensures that your food is cooked evenly without becoming too dry or even burning on a hot spot.
Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
Both air fryer vs toaster oven is very popular kitchen appliances used for cooking, baking, and roasting. Both of them come in different shapes and sizes and both have their own specific advantages and disadvantages. So the question is: Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven – which one should you choose? Here I will discuss the basic differences between these two types of ovens so that you can make your decision easier when purchasing an oven for your kitchen.
Pros and Cons of Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
Air Fryers are becoming more popular among family kitchens. These are some of the benefits and drawbacks of using an air fryer that you should know before buying one for your kitchen.
Pros of Air Fryers:
- Many of the models come with a built-in timer and automatic shutoff, which comes in handy while cooking different kinds of food.
- With preheating time of fewer than 10 minutes, these devices cook your food faster than conventional ovens (3 times faster) that take more than 20 minutes to get ready for cooking. Moreover, they use lesser energy compared to oven or stovetop cooking methods.
- Since no oil is required when using an air fryer; it reduces the consumption of extra calories from oil and other sauces by almost 80%.
This makes Air Fryer vs Toaster oven food healthier than deep-frying and grilling/barbecuing where many dishes can taste better but are not healthy at all. If you don’t like using oil, then an air fryer is the best option for you.
- The food items prepared by an air fryer have a crispy outer layer and moist inside, which makes it the first choice for anyone who wants their food to be healthy as well as tasty. You can prepare French fries, cakes, roasted veggies, etc. without much hassle.
- Apart from being a healthier cooking method than others; they help to retain almost all nutrients of your dish because of shorter cooking times required compared to conventional ovens or stoves.
This way you will get a delicious meal using fresh ingredients with maximum nutrition intact as there is no requirement of long hours of marination also vitamins and minerals are preserved better if your food is prepared using an air fryer.
- Air fryers provide a convenient way to deep-fry meat, poultry and fish without the use of excess oil. Not only this, at times you can even prepare chunky dishes like hot dogs or chicken wings in them without any problem. They are great for restaurant cooking due to their ability to re-heat already prepared fries quickly.
- Cooking with air fryers is easy if you follow the instructions that are mentioned in its manual carefully.
It will not take more than 15 minutes to get ready for cooking whatever dish you want to make after following some time guidelines given by manufacturers so simply set your timer and relax while they cook your food within the stipulated amount of time.
Whether you are trying to cook veggies, meat, or snacks, it can do multitasking with ease.
- Air fryers save around 60-80% of the electricity costs over conventional ovens and stoves because they use lesser power compared to them to prepare food items within a certain timeframe depending on the kind of dish being prepared by you.
It is easy for an air fryer vs toaster oven to switch from cooking at one temperature to another in a simple manner so simply set the control knob according to what your requirements are and get started with cooking your favorite meals without having any stress about how much time it will take for your food to get ready.
- Cleaning up of kitchen is easy when using an air fryer. All you have to do is wipe out the inside of the fryer with a damp cloth and wash any removable dish in a sink or place it on a dishwasher rack.
You can use paper towels to clean up excess oil from your food items which may be spilled on the exterior surface while cooking. So, this way cleaning becomes hassle-free because no scrubbing is required for removing greasy mess from inside kitchen appliances.
- These devices also enhance your cooking skills, as you will learn a lot many things about different dishes that can be prepared at home once you get acquainted with them.
Hence they are very convenient if you have knowledge about cooking and wish to experiment with new recipes with healthy alternatives of deep-frying ingredients without compromising on the taste of your favorite dishes.
Cons of Air Fryers:
- While air frying cookware is usually nonstick and dishwasher safe, it will likely need replacing over time. Like other appliances in the kitchen, your air fryer may go through some wear and tear.
- Air fryer vs toaster oven only has a small amount of space to work with while cooking, so you might need to refill halfway through or cook different foods at different times. This can be frustrating when you’re aiming for a single meal that requires multiple cooking components such as meat and potatoes.
- As with any appliance where food is heated at very high temperatures, there’s an increased risk of fire if something flammable gets too close to the heating element (like paper towels soaked in oil). If your unit doesn’t come with an automatic shutoff, it’s best to air dry in an open area to reduce the risk.
- If you’re not careful when adding food to the basket, you may end up spilling oil or other ingredients all over your countertops or kitchen floor. Be sure to use a splatter guard if needed to reduce messes!
There are several benefits that come with owning a toaster oven including uniform heating throughout the home without wasting electricity, more control over how you want your foods cooked, and also saving quite a bit of money each month compared to using an energy-guzzling conventional oven.
However, there are still some disadvantages of owning one. Make sure that you go through this part when figuring out about air fryer vs toaster oven to buy a suitable appliance.
Pros of Toaster Ovens:
- Versatility: A toaster oven vs air fryer can be used for more than just toast! You can bake, broil and reheat in a toaster oven. It’s perfect when you don’t want to heat up the whole large oven for small meals or snacks.
Just like a regular oven, you can also use it to roast vegetables and make casseroles. Some models even come with a rotisserie setting! If your unit has this function, get ready for moist and tender meats that fall off the bone just like they would if cooked on a barbecue grill!
- Convenience: As mentioned earlier, toasters are great during power outages because they use less energy and don’t heat up the whole house! They are also easy to clean with removable crumb trays that make it simple to dump your small messes.
A broiling pan is usually included with mid-range units while higher-end models will include a drip tray for catching oil drips from fried foods like French fries.
- Safety: If you’ve ever had the experience of burning yourself on an open oven door, you will understand why safety is an advantage of using a toaster oven.
These appliances can get very hot on the exterior so that’s why it’s important to always remove your food when done cooking and let it cool down before handling it. Never put your hand inside a hot oven!
- Durability: Compared to conventional ovens, modern toaster ovens are designed for smaller homes or apartments where space is limited while requiring several functions in one unit.
This makes toaster oven vs air fryer sturdier than conventional large full-sized ovens which means they will last longer if you take care of them properly by learning how to use and clean your new appliance after every use.
Keep in mind that some units need special cleaning instructions because the exterior paint may be flammable (usually indicated on the manual).
If you find this confusing, just remember to follow the instructions and keep your toaster oven away from anything flammable such as curtains, towels and any combustible materials.
- Faster Cooking Times: This may not be an advantage for some people since slow cooking is always an option with conventional ovens but if you want fast results, a toaster oven will certainly get the job done faster than a large full-sized traditional range or a microwave.
As mentioned earlier, this makes them ideal during emergencies and when you only need to cook smaller portions of food or snacks for one or two people instead of larger meals that take longer.
- Environmentally Friendly: If you consider yourself an environmentalist or care about conserving Earth’s natural resources, toaster oven vs air fryer is the right appliances for you!
This is because they use less energy, which means they will save on your home’s heating and cooling costs while consuming less power than a regular-sized oven. They don’t require as much water either and no preheating is needed which makes this small appliance more energy-efficient and convenient to use.
- Easy Cleanup: Whether it’s crumbs from toast snacks or oil residue from fried food, most modern toaster ovens come with removable crumb trays that make cleaning out messes quick and easy.
You can also clean spills by covering the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil before cooking your food. This makes cleanup even easier since it allows for easy removal of messes before they get burnt onto the bottom of the oven!
- Economical: When you think about how much money you will save in terms of energy costs, toasters are absolutely economical. You can also save money by preparing meals in advance and freezing them so that when you’re hungry all you have to do is heat up your prepared meal in a few minutes.
Cooking large amounts at once will not only save time but it’s an effective way to feed the whole family or entertain guests for less than it costs using traditional cookware or appliances like ranges and microwaves.
Cons of Toaster Ovens:
- They are not very effective when it comes down to cooking large products such as a whole chicken or a roast. The reason being is that they are built to fit vertically on the counter and most of them do not have enough room inside for certain large foods.
- They take quite a bit of time to pre-heat which can be frustrating especially if you have several items inside that need cooking at different temperatures with specific times set out for each one. Air fryer vs toaster oven about time is faster.
It may be easier just using a conventional oven for this since you will not waste any time waiting for it to heat up once everything has been placed inside, heated up, and begins to cool down with either cold air being pushed in from the outside of the fan running continually until it’s turned off manually.
- If you on placing your toaster oven on top of your stove, keep in mind that it will take up counter space. If you are limited on what you can fit inside your kitchen, this might be an issue for you especially if your current toaster oven is starting too small to fit anything else.
- They are built with internal buttons which eventually break down after time depending on how much use each button gets daily. This could create many issues later on after numerous repairs have been conducted or if you are not able to find spare parts for your particular model of oven.
Best Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
Philips Premium Air Fryer XXL
The Philips Premium Airfryer XXL is a next-generation air fryer for cooking healthier meals. It has the world’s first fat removal technology, which means it will receive your utmost satisfaction to your taste buds with crispy on the outside and tender on the inside results without added oil.
Philips Air Fryer makes cooking healthy meals quick and easy at a fraction of the cost. This amazing product is great for bakers, chefs, and even students with tight budgets!
This XXL air fryer is a multiple kitchen appliance that simplifies cooking while providing you with healthier options. The air fryer replaces your toaster oven, stove, and fryers to provide an all-in-one machine.
This multifunction appliance uses less oil than conventional fryers which creates less smell and splattering. Not only does this care for your health, but it will save you both time on the countertop cleaning up messes, labor in making large quantities of food at once, storage space since multiple products are combined into one device.
The air fryer has over 200 dishes perfect for any occasion to try out from vegetarian sweet potato fries to classic steak sirloin, Parisian chicken, or shrimps in a beautiful parsley sauce with fresh tomatoes!
- 7-quart cooking capacity basket with simple digital display
- Removable nonstick dishwasher-safe accessories and parts
- 5 cooking presets with up to 90% fat decreased
- Adjustable timer and temperature
- Come with a 1-year assurance from Philips manufacturer
- Useful Kitchen app with Chef-teaching course
- Large enough for families of 6 or fewer
- Easy to clean and operate
- Run beautifully and quietly
- Higher price than other models
Cuisinart Air Fryer Convection Toaster Oven
This Cuisinart versatile toaster oven will let you cook a variety of dishes from french fries to popcorn without the hassle of moving it back and forth from cabinet to countertop.
This toaster oven comes with an Air Fryer inside, perfect for those who love crispy fried snacks but don’t want all the grease and extra calories. It doesn’t matter if you’re frying up for a minute, baking cookies for an hour, or serving six people at the same time Cuisinart is there with a wide range of toaster ovens.
Perfect in any room and on any countertop, it’s time to say goodbye to appliances taking up half your kitchen space. Adequate enough for any breading effort!
- Simple control knobs with 7 cooking functions
- 0.6 cubic foot cooking space with an interior light
- 60-minute timer with an auto-shutoff function
- Nonstick interior with several accessories
- Can fit an entire 4-pound chicken or a 12” pizza easily
- Cook fast, very fast, and very crispy
- Easy to clean and super quiet
- It should be taller to fit 3 shelves rather than 2
FAQs about Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
How long does it take for an air fryer to cook food?
An Air Fryer cooks food faster than conventional ovens because it has a rapid air technology that circulates heat up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit higher than cooking temperatures of other ovens.
It also saves cooking time by having 30 minutes shut-off timer which is ideal for cooking tender meat from frozen. This will save you time and money by not overcooking or burning your food.
Can I roast vegetables in my air fryer? Will they taste good?
Of course! You can roast almost all kinds of veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc using an air fryer without any problem or hassle. Although roasting veggies are very healthy but do not expect them to taste very good.
Can an air fryer replace a toaster oven?
Absolutely! And this is coming from someone who used to own both a standard oven and a toaster oven. However, an air fryer won’t replace your entire range or your oven.
It’s just not big enough for that type of cooking. An air fryer vs toaster oven does, however, work wonders on smaller baking projects like fries and the above-mentioned meatballs.
Do I really need an air fryer?
You probably already know that air fryers produce deep-fried food without requiring you to use a lot of oil. But the big question is: Do you really need an air fryer? Maybe not, but if there’s something like fried chicken or French fries that you’ve been craving for a long time and can’t stop thinking about it, then maybe this appliance would do the trick.
People who love fried food and probably eat them most days of the week, they might be looking for healthier alternatives with fewer calories and less fat. An air fryer will help solve those problems by skirting around the fryer and producing crispy meals minus all the grease and oil used in deep frying.
Will it be okay to use my oven for frying?
Yes, you can also fry in an oven because ovens have convectional fans to circulate air around the food but I do not recommend using them for frying because they are not designed to cook food items quickly so their capacity is less than other kitchen appliances for frying like deep fryer or air-fryer.
If you are still up to it then keep a watch on your foods while cooking because these types of ovens do not have the power that other fast cooking appliances provide.
Final Thought about Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
Just like any other appliance, there are always pros and cons to using them. Air fryer vs toaster oven is no different. Any appliance you use at home is going to be best for some but not for others.
It all depends on what your personal needs are as well as the amount of money that you’re willing to spend on it. The fact that there are so many options means that no matter what your needs may be, there is likely an air fryer out there right now that’s perfect for you!
An air fryer vs toaster oven is a revolutionary cooking appliance that makes healthy food preparation easier than ever, with no compromises on taste or nutrition. You can prepare mouthwatering dishes easily at home without worrying about the time taken to get ready.
And above all, you will learn many cooking skills by using them frequently which will allow you to experiment with new recipes and make your own lip-smacking snacks and meals quickly in a hassle-free manner.
Toaster ovens are great little appliances that save you money on your electric bill, save space in your kitchen and help prepare all sorts of delicious food. Whether it is a pizza, breakfast sandwich, or chicken wings, the possibilities are endless with your toaster oven.
I hope my article has helped you get the necessary facts about air fryer vs toaster oven. I did a lot of research before writing this review, so I believe that all of the facts are true. If you have further questions, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below. Thank you, everyone, good luck with your future cooking appliances purchases!